Thursday 27 February 2014

Wilcot Wide

In between all the heavy showers, rain and gales there are sometimes a few days where the weather is much better. So it was at the beginning of this week.
I took the bus to Devizes (using my bus-pass) and brought Constance up to Devizes wharf. For part of the way I was accompanied by a class of children and their teachers. They were all able to see how the lock system raises a boat and learned about the canal system.
Once at Devizes there was shopping to be done before moving on along the 'Long Pound'.
The first night was spent safely moored below the Bridge Inn at Horton before moving along towards Wilcot.
There are two swing bridges (more about one of them in my next post), a stop at All Cannings bridge for a shower and a quick drive-by of Honey Street which seems to be a magnet for an awful lot of scruffy looking boats.
The long pound is quiet this time of year and I only saw one boat on the move the whole time.
Somewhere on the long pound

Under the watchful eye of the white horse

Stopping at Wilcot Wide Water in the sunshine
I even had my own seat on the towpath!
Wilcot wide water is such a lovely quiet spot for an overnight stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment